Friday, December 5, 2014

Beginnings (updated version)

     I was up late last night waiting for my youngest daughter (who's 4 almost 5) to fall asleep. She has never been one to fall asleep early and very rarely is asleep before midnight, so obviously I don't usually go sleep before then either.
     Last night while I was proof-reading my novel she sneaks into my bedroom and pops her little head up next to me and says, "Mom?"
     "What baby?" I reply.
     "I want a horse...for reals," she adds.
     (Yes there was a dramatic pause in-between and an added S, it's her new word) Not quite knowing what to say to her at 12:40 in the morning I just kind of stare at her dumb-founded. Sure, there were many things that went through my mind at that point.
     One being- "Sure let me just pull that out of my ass" or "Holy mother of God will you please go to sleep now. It's almost 1 in the morning and you want to talk about a horse?"
     I refrained myself from saying either.
     Instead I replied, "We'll see baby, but right now it's really late and you need to just go to sleep."
    Without skipping a beat she asks, "Can we get one tomorrow?"
     She, of course, doesn't know that it already IS tomorrow, but I tell her, "We'll see. Just go to bed please."
     I tuck her back into bed (or the couch since that's her current favorite place to sleep and she's spoiled rotten) and tell her I love her. A half hour passes and just as I'm about to check to see if she's finally asleep or not, here comes the pitter-patter of her little feet again. At this point I'm already exhausted and loosing patience.
    "Mom?" she asks again.
    "Yes, baby. What do you need now?" I ask.
    "I'm scared. I heard a noise." 
    "You're okay, sweetie, there's nothing out there. Just go back to bed."
    "What if it comes again?" I have no desire or energy to get up and check for said noise so I tell her to get in bed in-between her dad and I.
     Now our king size bed has not just been split in half, but is now in thirds. Guess who only ends up getting an eighth by the time it's all said and done? You guessed it. Me.
     It's 2 a.m. and I'm turned on my side, with one arm being used as a pillow by a certain little girl. Luckily, she gives me that extra added balance to keep me from falling off the bed. I realize now though, just how uncomfortable I am.
     I would love to turn or scoot, but I don't because I'm too afraid to wake her up and start the entire process over again. So as I lay there and think to myself, with a million different thoughts running through my mind, one stands out among the rest,"I should start a blog about how amusing my kids can be." So here I am.
    I suppose I should tell you a little bit about myself, my name is Sheena Evans and I currently live in Utah. I was born and raised here, but moved to Hawaii when I met my husband. We met and married quickly (but that's another story I'll get to later on). It's 12 years later and we are still going strong.
    We have 4 children- Aydan being our oldest is 11, Zander is 8, Zayna is 7, and Autumn is of course 4. They all have their different personalities which come with the good and the bad, but I wouldn't change a thing about them.
     My family has molded me into the woman I am today and although I am far from perfect, I am happy with myself. (For the most part anyways.) I think it goes without saying, that just about everyone has something in the back of their mind that they would like to change about themselves.
     The one thing I would like to change is the fact that I don't feel I have accomplished much in my life. I'm 32 years old and married with 4 kids, but what else have I done? I never went to college. I've been a stay-at-home mom since the birth of my first child. I have had many different children pass through that I have watched over each day in my home, but have I knocked anything off my bucket list? I'm not even sure I have a bucket list. What if I died tomorrow, what would I be remembered by?
     I, of course, want to be remembered as a loving wife and mother, but I want to do something else as well and one of the things I love to do is write. I have always wanted to write a book and although I finally have, I still have 2 more to go to complete the series. So at least I am 1/3 of the way of completing at least one of my top goals in life.
     I also enjoy being helpful (or at least trying to be) so I thought I could offer advice to anyone and everyone who had a question. Whether it's about children, marriage, writing, or just anything in general you are searching for an answer for. Ask me. I may not be able to answer everyone's question and some may not even like my answers, but maybe, just maybe, I could inspire someone else.
     If you have questions please leave them in the comment section and I will answer them as quickly as I can. I will post different topics periodically, but feel free to ask me any questions you have.
     Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm hoping to one day say I am an "accomplished writer" and all of you can help me do that, so thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having issues with the formatting on this site so please bare with me. I have tried to separated the paragraphs and the dialog, but it just ends up as one long paragraph instead. Does anyone know how to fix this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, I fixed it. lol Thank God for my husband.

    ReplyDelete