Friday, April 3, 2015

The new house

It's been awhile since I have posted, my computer has been under the weather, but now it seems to be working "most" of the time, so I'm back. I still haven't finished editing my book, but I'm 1/3 of the way through, so I'm hopeful it won't be too much longer before I can finally publish and actually call myself "an author." Plus, it will be nice to be able to start the sequel.

For now though, I deal with the day to day life of being a wife and mother in our new house, well technically, our very old house, we've just moved into. My husband and I love this old house, but with all old homes you tend to have lots of unexpected quirks. For instance, unexplained water that splashed all over the bathroom floor in the early morning hours with absolutely no tell of where it came from. Then, there's the broken water heater and the flooded basement as a result of the landlords putting in a new one and not changing the old hose attached too it.

Don't worry, it get's better. After having an assembly line of kids up the stairs to empty the six inches of water covering the basement floor, a day or two later I start having problems with my washer. What some people don't know is that with a lot of older homes, the washer and dryer hook ups are in the kitchen. I thought it would bother me at first, but surprisingly it's helped me keep up with laundry a lot more, until recently that is.

Unfortunately, along with the convenience of having everything in one place, the sink and washer also share the same pipes. When one is clogged, both are virtually unusable, unless you get creative. Luckily, I am. Not only do I have to stay in the kitchen or turn the washer off every time I leave the room (so the garbage can I am using to empty the water doesn't over flow, trust me, it sucks when that happens) I also have to empty the sink about fifty times in order to do my dishes three times a day. Needless to say, I'm sick of water.

I attempted to have the landlord come fix the problem and they sent the handyman. He looked at it and gave me an assessment saying that basically it will be a pain in the ass, but he'll get it fixed for me. At around five o'clock he tells me that he has to run and grab something and he'll be right back. He never returned. If this was the first time he's said he'd return and hasn't I might be concerned something happened, but unfortunately it's not. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

I attempt each day to get something else accomplished in our new home, but for some reason, there's always a set back. I guess that's how it is with everything in life. You have to take in the bad with the good and just make the best out of it. If it weren't for my family, it may not be worth it, but as they say, home is where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment